Sunday, February 5, 2012

Volunteering

I have always wondered if volunteering can actually help one to get a job. I love doing good and making a difference, and I've volunteered at food shelters and things like that, but have been reluctant to do it in the professional world.  One reason is that I think I should be spending my time finding an actual position.  Another is that I'm naturally introverted and I have to psych myself up before I can just go offer my services and throw myself into something (maybe head first?).  I think this attitude has hurt me.  Especially in my current jobhunt. Most of the positions I've applied for, I am qualified for--technically.  But, there always seems to be many more people who have more experience than I do. 

Nothing is more depressing than almost getting the job, and then--NOPE.  Nearly ready to give up, I posted the following to LinkedIn: 


"I'm trying to find a library position but I seem to be lacking in experience. Does anyone have any ideas about how to overcome this?

I started my professional library career in April 2009, but was let go from my first professional position as the campus librarian for a small, private university in September 2011. The campus had only about 350 students and I was THE librarian. I've applied for a number of positions across the library spectrum and I've gotten interviews, but I seem to never get the job because other librarians have more experience. How can I work to fill in this experience gap? I also have experience teaching, as a bookseller, and working in libraries as nonprofessional staff."

I've only gotten a few responses so far, but most of them seem to be pointing to volunteering.

I live in a very small town at the moment, but as I began thinking more about it, there are options related to information/library work.  I've already started tutoring for the local elementary's reading program, and there is also a museum and a Bookmobile library nearby.  In addition to that, there are online options that had not even crossed my mind, like Goodreads and ipl2.

See?!  I should have trusted my instincts and let my natural tendency to "do good" lead me to get the experience I need for the more practical aspects of my life.






3 comments:

  1. I've been there. It's tough ... and difficult to decide what the right steps are.

    In 2010, I was let go from a position as the Managing Editor of a technical journal (another victim of the economy and DoD budget cuts). It's difficult to say what to do in these situations, since we're in somewhat different areas. As an expert in writing, I had to be multifaceted, falling back on teaching (as you know); there were also freelance writing and editing opportunities. While that stopped the hemorrhaging, it still wasn't enough.

    The bad news is that things are tough all over in a bad economy. During a layoff in 2005, I was able to pick up $3k in freelance work in the first month and found a full-time job in 2 months. In 2011, it was 8 months out of work, freelance work was uber-competitive, and I ended up having to take a position in Cedar City for six months. I was, however, able to reposition my life. I sold the house in South Ogden, and, finally, got a job back in SLC.

    First, I would say not to volunteer, unless it's doing something that may parlay into a job you want to do. What kind of library work do you want to do? This is stuff you've already probably done, and I sound like my parents giving advise (but no experience in my area) but there are a whole bunch of public libraries around. From my experience with libraries, I can say the libraries down here in SLC are more abundant. But yes, I know, Library Science is a hellishly hard area to break into. I guess what I'm saying is intern, not volunteer. Try to get paid something.

    Second, I think you are on the right track. I got my job through a Linkedin connection. Indeed.com simplifies the job search. HigherEdJobs.com is great for education jobs, as you probably know. Check out Elance, ifreelance.com, etc., say if there are any sort of opportunities in your area. Definitely keep blogging and getting yourself out there.

    It may take some reinvention. I was in university marketing and communications for several years. When I moved out to Utah, I banged my head against a wall trying to get a job in university communications, marketing, etc. Even while it wasn't my educational focus, I got a short-term opportunity in technical writing .... that lead to a full-time opportunity ... that led to technical proposals and publication management. I would love to be in university communication, in marketing/advertising, but the opportunities weren't there, so I had to reinvent ... and accept the fact that it isn't exactly what I 100% want to do, but it's something I am good at enjoy doing a majority of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      You make a lot of good points and many of them I have thought about. It seems I'm either over- or under-qualified for every position to which I've applied. Even the internships are difficult for me to get into now, because it's such an employer's market. They seem to keep internships for students still in school, or for students who have just graduated. Perhaps I just haven't found the right one yet, but it seems unlikely that I'll be taken on as an intern at this point. My last professional position (where I met you) kept me on just long enough to be ineligible for most them, but not long enough to give me the 3 to 5 years of experience I need. But, I haven't given up hope yet. There is even a paid position at the museum here, but I think one has to be over 50 to be eligible for it. I would like to get some experience there, though because I have a history degree and would like to get some archival experience. Volunteering there might give me the experience I need. I also know that the museum board could use someone with some computer know-how. I don't consider myself a real techie, but I do know enough to get their other volunteers organized and trained on how to use the computer systems they may have. Perhaps I could talk them into giving me an internship because my skills would be a definite help to them.

      One of my limitations is that I cannot drive (for medical reasons) and I had to move in with my parents for financial reasons. They live in a town of less than 2,000 people so there aren't a whole lot of options here. There is a college not too far away from here, and I was one of the top 5 candidates for a position at the library, but I didn't get the position because someone else was more experienced. Until I can actually find a permanent full-time job and move to where it is, I'm kind of limited in what I can do. The idea of freelance work actually intrigues me, but I think it would take more "legwork" than is feasible for me right now--especially if it would take a lot of travel over large areas.

      I've been looking at some positions in copy-editing and copy-writing. I've even pulled out some self-made editor's mark flashcards. Who knows? Something might just pan out there. I met with a publishing team in Kaysville, but it wasn't really a formal interview--more of a "writing test, let's see if we like each other" type of meeting.
      I've also applied for some technical writing jobs, but so far, I haven't gotten any calls back on those. I have a friend who got a job with Idaho Technology as a technical writer. She is a medieval history Ph.D. candidate, but she loves her job. I'm definitely open to something like that. I'm also reading a book called "Rethinking Information Work", which is helping me to think "outside the box" as far as information work goes. You'll probably see some of the results from that show up on this blog if you keep up with it. I've also been applying for some part-time work and short-term work--but I'd like it to be somewhat related to information work. The good thing about information work is that a lot of positions outside of the usual realm can be tied into it somehow. So, re-invention is definitely on the table, and it's even something I'm working toward. There's only one type of job related to information work that I know I don't want to do.

      I think I've seen some university marketing and communications positions out there. I'll message you if anything interesting pops up in the future.

      Thanks for your advice. I did find it encouraging and helpful. You've given me something to think about . . .

      Delete
  2. Did you see this story on 60 Minutes on "re-tooling" in the job market? Interesting.....

    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7399352n

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?