Monday, February 6, 2012

Book Review: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Honestly, this book took me a long time to read. I read about half of it and then I put it down for quite a long while. When I picked it up again, however I did not want to put it down. I do not know precisely what put me off about it; I'm a medieval history major, so I love the time period. The descriptions of the building processes are exquisite and the connections and relationships that Follett builds between the characters he creates are fascinating, intriguing and profound. I think I had to get used to Follett's narrative style. It is very straightforward and without embellishment. Sometimes, I felt like his characters were almost simple, because their thoughts were so uncomplicated. Even for the smart or cunning characters. I am used to nineteenth-century social novels, so this was a change for me, but also think it had something to do with who Follett's intended audience may have been. His style is probably much more geared toward men than women. I could be completely wrong about that, but his style just seemed completely stripped, stark and gritty. Social novels can be that way too, but there is usually the hint of an element of beauty, too. Not so here.

Despite my initial struggles, I recommend this book whole-heartedly. Just give yourself some time to get acquainted with the style and the medieval world Follett created before you give up on it.
  It was well worth the read, and I was completely engrossed in it by the time it ended with Henry II being whipped by the clergy on the Canterbury Cathedral steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?