Friday, April 27, 2012

People Wonder Why . . . Thoughts on The Books for Walls Project: End Wars, Fund Libraries

People often wonder why most librarians are more socially liberal, even if, personally, they tend to be conservative.  I believe in fiscal responsibility, but I also believe that libraries need support so that they can be the learning and community centers that keep American civilization equalized and thriving.  I don't personally support abortion as a form of birth control, but I do believe in making an effort to keep communities educated so that their members can have the resources and capacity to make well-thought-out decisions.  This is why I tend to be more socially liberal.  I believe in bringing things to light, instead of letting them fester in the dark (Freedom of Information Act, yes).  I believe in a person's right to expression, thought and privacy (Patriot Act, no).  I believe in a young person's right to have information so that they can make wise decisions (book banning, no; sex education, yes).  There is rarely a case where anyone was actually helped because they were kept ignorant of something.

This is also why, though sometimes I think Michael Moore is a bit extreme, I applaud him for his political stances.  The Books for Walls Project posted an article this morning speaking about how Michael helped and supported his own hometown library and is making a push to help libraries throughout the country.  This is why I'm a "liberal"--or at least why the Democratic Party gets my support more often than the GOP.  I've seen pictures of President Obama in his university library.  George W. made fun of them (though Laura was a librarian!).  Just those two images make me favor one party over the other.  Perhaps if President Bush had used his library more, he would have made wiser decisions--but maybe not.

So, so thank you, Michael Moore for strengthening libraries, and at the same time, your country--End Wars, Fund Libraries!

Find the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?