Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Review: The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

I just finished reading this book and the one it follows (Guilty Pleasures)--and I will read more about Anita Blake's adventures.  This is a book I'm glad to borrow from the library, or borrow.  I am not enthusiastic enough to buy them for myself--yet.  I like Anita Blake.  I like her hard-as-nails-but-admits-she's-afraid attitude.  Her comments are continually and consistently funny.  And, Jean-Claude?  A charmer.  I do have to say that I enjoy the Southern Vampire mysteries more.  Not only are the "main" characters intriguing, but the town is interesting too (besides, who can compete with a thousand year old Viking vampire?  So far, Erik's way ahead of Jean-Claude in the mysterious intrigue department).  Perhaps I just haven't read these long enough, but there seems to be a greater sense of community in Harris' books that is somewhat lacking here.  I don't know why that should be important in a genre like this, but it is.

In this book, I enjoyed the exchanges with the Master Vampire more than in the first book. I guess his character was more filled out here. For all of his vampiric danger, the fact that Anita amuses Jean-Claude and makes him laugh (when he least expects it) endears him to me.  I've resisted reading these for a long time.  I haven't wanted to admit that I like "vampire" books, but who am I kidding?!  They are a "guilty pleasure" (ha ha), as long as there is some humor with the gore. I'm still a bit baffled that I can find this genre such a treat, but even a Gaskell purist can't read British social novels all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?