Monday, May 21, 2012

Games for Word Nerds


Some interesting games have been brought to my attention.  These are not video/computer games, but good old-fashioned board games.  I think these have potential for building social interaction, story-telling, imagination and word usage.  At the moment I'm thinking these would be for public and middle school libraries, but I'm sure that image could be expanded.


The first is called Quiddler.  It's a short word game, ages 8 to adult and it can have up to 8 players.  I meant to play it with my niece and nephews while in Denver but they were busy and I completely forgot about it.  Here's the official site: http://www.quiddler.us/.  It does seem to have potential.  Basically, you combine all the letters in your hand into words, and longer words get more points.  There can be rules added to make the game more involved and challenging.  I imagine it as a more fast-paced, basic "Scrabble."

Another game I've heard about (at the Utah Library Association conference last year) is called Faux*cabulary. I have never had the chance to play this but it looked like so much fun. With all that's going on, I have yet to buy it.  It seemed very versatile and funny, and I think it could help students gain an appreciation for precise word choices.  That makes it sound boring, doesn't it?  It certainly doesn't look boring (at least not to a "word nerd" like me!).  Actually, Out of the Box Publishing produces a lot of interesting games, and I'd suggest taking a look at their other offerings as well.  The age range is thirteen to adult, and it takes about 30 minutes to play--so it's good for lunch breaks. Official Site: http://www.otb-games.com/?page_id=529.






A third game is called "Letterhead."  I won this at the same conference I mentioned above.  I have yet to play it as well, because it's packed up in a storage unit somewhere until I can  relocate, but it looks . . . engaging and interesting.  I found a document that gives suggestions for how to use this game in the classroom: http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/LetterHeadClassroom.pdf.  These cards actually allow players to play several different games with them.  I don't have an official site for this one, but this site seems to have some good information: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/783/letter-head.

I've heard a lot of talk lately about molding the library to be a center-of-the-community, and game challenge nights are one way librarians are drawing families in.  These might be some good options if you're interested in pursuing this.

Play away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?